Application requirements: CV, motivation letter, 2 samples of previous work (links or attachments)
Closing date: 19 August 2021
Andariya is a bilingual digital cultural multimedia platform, research and cross-cultural enterprise that was established in Sudan in 2015 and expanded into 11 East and Horn of Africa countries since. Andariya creates multimedia content across its omni-channels & builds creative cultural exchange & research projects. To date Andariya has more than 70,000 followers on social media platforms and a wide network of more than 140 writers and contributors.
Overview & Responsibility
Andariya’s Senior Editor will manage Andariya’s editorial processes ranging from editorial positioning, assignments, talent scouting, editing, and editorial outreach and partnerships. The SE will liaise with the Multi-platform Editor and Andariya’s content creators as well as its management and project teams. The SE’ role is to ensure Andariya’s content is excellent in terms of creativity, relevance, impact, reach and production.
The Senior Editor has an excellent grasp of the issues Andariya covers, passion for its mission of telling stories and connecting the continent and enhancing its impact in positive storytelling with sound journalistic and media practices and ethics.
- Research, source and assign stories and talent from the region Andariya’s content covers, with emphasis on high impact, positive and relatable stories and storytellers.
- Assist management in the development of editorial drafts, pitches, presentations, proposals and concept notes for creative editorial projects.
- Lead in the planning and execution of editorial projects and partnerships in liaison with the management/project teams.
- Conduct content analysis and develop editorial strategies, plans & projects with the larger editorial team members to optimize content traffic and engagement across different platforms. The platforms include but are not limited to: website content, newsletter, multiple social media channels & audio-visual content.
- Produce detailed editorial reports & advise management about direction with evidence-based analysis from each country.
- Produce periodic high impact editorial interviews, investigative pieces, industry white papers etc.
- Represent Andariya at key media and technology events locally, regionally and internationally as required.
- Participate in company events, trainings and skills development programs for internal and external purposes as required.
As required, perform the following tasks:
l Critically edit material submitted by content creators.
l Follow specific areas of current public and cultural interests.
l Perform other production or administrative duties to ensure that editorial projects run smoothly.
● University degree in Mass Communication, Journalism or English Literature.
● Relevant experience in which the candidate gained exposure to journalism, social media content creation, writing and editing & project coordination.
● Capable of original and creative management of content production for multiple digital platforms, with demonstrated writing skills in both Arabic and English.
● Editorial experience and analytical skills for content optimization and audience engagement.
● Excellent interpersonal and communication skills for diverse settings; good team player.
● Comfortable with the demands and needs of digital publishing and news production.
● Strong organizational skills; ability to handle a variety of functions quickly and efficiently.
● Ability to solve problems independently and in group discussions (with openness to new ideas and approaches).
● Ability to work flexible hours as required.
● Understanding of the structure and workflow of content creation for digital media production and publishing, and ability to build and maintain strong relationships with contributors and partners from different countries.
● Strong knowledge of African culture with specific interest in East African culture and the issues facing these communities.
● Willingness to learn, unlearn, teach, train and win personal and company awards.
● Valid driver’s license, passport and ability to travel.
● Bilingualism and excellent command of both Arabic and English are preferred.
● Candidates who are not from the focus countries (Sudan, South Sudan, Uganda, Kenya, Tanzania, Rwanda, Burundi, Somalia, Somaliland, Ethiopia and Eritrea) but have the required qualifications are encouraged to apply.
Terms and Conditions
l The position is full time and can be remote.
l The position is for one year with renewal based on excellent performance.