Application requirements: CV, 2 samples of previous work (links or attachments)
Closing date: 12 October 2023
Andariya is an independent leading media enterprise in the East & Horn of Africa with headquarters in Khartoum & Kampala. Through its digital outlets, Andariya creates and publishes content on grassroots issues, such as education, gender, health, social, environmental, technology, arts and culture. Andariya specializes in the areas of content creation, research, community engagement, capacity building, cross-cultural projects and events.
Overview & Responsibility
Andariya’s Junior Editor will support Andariya’s editorial processes ranging from editorial positioning, content creation, assignments, talent scouting, editing, and editorial outreach and partnerships. The JE will liaise with the Senior Editor and Andariya’s editorial department and content creators pool, as well as its management and project teams. The JE’s role is to support Andariya’s editorial content to be produced in accurate, innovative, impactful, relevant ways, and well distributed across multiple distribution channels.
The Junior Editor has an excellent grasp of the issues and geographies Andariya covers, passion for its mission of telling stories and connecting the continent through innovative and creative multimedia storytelling, research and cross-cultural programming. The JE has the capacity to enhance Andariya's impact through positive storytelling with sound journalistic and media practices and ethics.
- Source and support story assignments and talent scouting for Andariya’s editorial department.
- Assist in the development (editing, improvement, proofreading etc.) of editorial drafts, pitches, presentations, proposals and concept notes for creative editorial projects.
- Co-lead in the planning and execution of editorial projects and partnerships in liaison with the management/project teams.
- Suggest and develop stories and produce periodic high impact editorial interviews, investigative pieces, industry white papers etc.
- Oversee layout (artwork, design, photography) and check content for accuracy and errors.
- Oversee the adherence to publication standards and establish goals and expectations with excellent communication and follow up.
- Conduct content analysis with the larger editorial team members to optimize content traffic and engagement across different platforms. The platforms include but are not limited to: website content, newsletter, multiple social media channels & audio-visual content.
- Represent Andariya at key events locally, regionally and internationally as required.
- Participate in company events, trainings and skills development programs as required.
- Comply with media laws and ethical guidelines.
Qualifications & Requirements:
The successful candidate will possess the following attributes and skills and have demonstrated experience as follows:
- BA in Journalism, Communication, Public Relations, Social Sciences or other relevant field is preferred but not required.
- Strong writing/editing/proofreading experience and demonstrable skills in various types of content production, organization and editorial coordination.
- Proven work experience as an Editor at a native digital publication is a plus.
- Experience working in diverse and multi-lingual environments is desired.
- Strong familiarity with digital communication and mastery of MS Word and other professional office applications.
- Proven experience with content management systems, search engine optimization and social media best practices
- Excellent command of the English and Arabic languages.
- Must have an eye for detail, and an obsession with fact-checking.
Terms and Conditions
- The position is full time and remote.
- The position is for a preliminary period of 6 months, renewable upon the candidate's performance and resource availability.